Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Bajio Sweet Rice




Hey everyone! It's been a busy summer, hasn't it!?!?

I just had to post the link to the recipe for making Bajio sweet rice. I know many of you are cafe Rio addicts, and I am sure I would be too if I had it around me. But one place we WERE around back when we lived in Idaho was Bajio. And we LOVED their sweet rice.

I have been looking for a recipe for it for AGES. (okay, clearly not AGES because we just moved to Ohio 2 years ago...but it feels like ages when you love something so much, right??) :)

Finally found one! Gave it a try, and decided I HAD to pass it along.

It presented a couple of firsts. First time making sweet rice, and first time cooking with fresh cilantro. I know, I know...sheletered chef, I am. :)

Here ya go!



Original recipe found here

BAJIO SWEET RICE


*1/2-1 tablespoon vegetable oil
*1/2 of a white onion, chopped (add more or less to your taste)
*1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
*1 1/3 cups white rice
*3 cups chicken broth
*1/4-1/2 cup white sugar

Directions


Put a little oil in bottom of pan (maybe about 1/2-1 tablespoon).

Saute chopped onion until translucent. Add the chopped cilantro (no big stems) and saute a minute more.


Add the rice, cooking until it is light brown (being careful not to burn).


Combine the chicken broth and sugar, letting sugar dissolve. Then stir into rice until combined. Bring to a boil.


Cover and let cook on low, med-low until rice is done, about 25-30 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.

*****NOTES:

I actually wish I had added a little bit of onion powder to this to help ground the sweetness. However, it was REALLY tasty either way. I threw in some chopped red pepper, and we love that.

VERY TASTY...VERY EASY...especially if you are missing good ol' Bajio. :)

6 comments:

Mindy said...

YUM!!! Thank you so much for posting this, Rachel! (And SO worth the extra chance at the dishes, right? ;)

girlsmama said...

I am so excited for this! I have been searching as well. I think I know what's for dinner...

This and That Creations said...

I made this and it was good, however, I had to add a bit more rice to kill the super sweet! Other than that, delicious!

Charlotte said...

I made this and it was DIVINE. Thank you, thank you. Better than having candy for dinner. :0)

Rachel H. said...

I think you have to test it out a few times to figure out how sweet you like it. I mean, between a 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup of sugar is a pretty big difference. :) But once you get it right, I think it will be a sure keeper!

superman777-nlp said...

I have to admit I laughed quite a bit when I read this recipe. I cook at a Bajio and the only ingredients you listed that we actually use are the onions and rice. Sugar doesn't even go into the rice marinades. Its all a green chile chutney and the juice to make it sweet. Nice try though!!